Guide to make the most out of an internship!
The internship is a very crucial stage, it is the first step you take towards starting your career. Internship period teaches you about ins and outs of working in your chosen field. It helps you in developing various skills that play an important role in shaping your career. Moreover, it offers you practical knowledge of your field that cannot be learnt in classrooms. Internship opens the door for you to enter the real world. How to make the most out of your internship and what all you must keep in mind while applying for an internship is topic we are going to discuss today.
Let’s discuss how to apply for an internship first–
Build your resume- for a great internship you must have a great resume. It is a document that says all about you before you go for the interview. Human resource department of all companies short-list candidates based on their resume. Therefore, build a smart and optimistic resume to introduce yourself and your academic skills and achievements.
In your head be very specific about your field of internship- do not follow others blindly. Based on your interest and career goals, choose the field of your internship and stick to that. Many students get confused by multiple options and they end up in the wrong field. Therefore, with a calm mind think clearly; keep in mind your interest, your career goals, the scope of growth in the chosen field and things you are good at while deciding on a field of your internship.
Apply for the internship- there are many ways of applying for an internship in your chosen field. Your educational institute would offer you internship programmes, as they have tie-ups with different companies for internship and placement. You can apply online, almost every company has a website, visit the website of your favourite company and check their career section. You can directly email the company; attach your resume, mention your field of interest and request for the interview. We also offer internship in different fields like software development, business development, content and research etc., if you are interested, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Know about the internship offers- keep in mind the deadline of internship, as many companies are open for internship for a particular period only, some internships are project-based. So, consider all these factors and do not miss good internships. Also, apply for several internships, to maximise your chances of landing best one.
Prepare for the interview- do proper research on the company, board of directors, projects of the company and your chosen field. Ask about all the rounds of interview you are required to clear and prepare yourself accordingly.
Wear comfortable and appropriate clothes, go for a formal getup. Your body language, clothes, soft skills, and confidence says a lot about you; apart from your knowledge of work. Everything counts, so do not underestimate anything. The most important thing is being confident and show seriousness towards the work being offered. A casual attitude is not a yes for an interview.
Don’ts to keep in mind, while being interviewed for an internship-
- Don’t go without a resume.
- Don’t wear shorts, gym wear, casual or sportswear.
- Don’t lie in your resume.
- Don’t mention the experience or achievement, if you don’t have a certificate, document or any proof to support the same.
- Don’t mention irrelevant things.
- Listen, understand and then say what is being asked.
- Be confident, but know the difference between confidence and overconfidence.
- Don’t speak interrupting the interviewer, let the person speaking finish and wait for your turn.
- Take small pauses, but do not take the extra-long pauses.
- Be clear with your career goals and interests. Do not give contradictory statements.
- Do not show yourself in a hurry of finishing the interview.
Dos to keep in mind, while being interviewed for an internship-
- Be there on time.
- Dress smartly and comfortably.
- Carry the required documents.
- Greet the interviewer professionally.
- Be confident.
- Be honest in a smart way.
- Show yourself interested and serious for the internship.
- Mention the values you intend to add to the company and yourself during your internship period.
An internship makes you ready for the future job market and VUCA world. Make the best out of your internship period.
Here is a list of things you must keep in mind to make the most out of an internship-
- Set goals and work towards achieving them
- Accept your mistakes and learn from your mistakes.
- Make professionals connections.
- Be optimistic.
- Do not miss any opportunity of learning.
- Learn teamwork, corporate etiquettes, soft skills and communication skills, working in the real world.
- Do not hesitate to reach out to someone professionally for opportunities and chances of learning. Be open to criticism and guidance.
- Be punctual and respect others time.
- Keep track of what all you learnt.
- Stay in touch with your connections.
We hope this guide would help you in landing a great internship. If you have any doubt, concern, and question, feel free to use ‘Ask an Expert’ services available on the zamit app.
For future-ready internships go for zamit internships!
zamit- Let’s begin!